Director's Corner

Special Education Department
Warroad School District provides a full range of educational service alternatives. All students with disabilities are provided the special instruction and services which are appropriate to their needs. Appropriate program alternatives to meet the special education needs, goals, and objectives of a pupil are determined on an individual basis. Choice of specific program alternatives are based on the pupil’s current levels of performance, pupil special education needs, goals, and objectives, and must be written in an Individual Education Plan (IEP) for student age 3 to 21 or an Individual Family Service Plan (IFSP) for infants and toddlers.

The district offers a continuum of special services for student’s age birth to age 21 with a wide range of learning disabilities, emotional-behavioral disorders and mental or physical impairments. Warroad Special Education Services consist of a team of licensed special education teachers along with related service staff such as speech and language services, occupational and physical therapy, and other services designed to meet the educational needs of all students.

Referral of Children Birth to Kindergarten Age

As you watch your child grow, you may become concerned about your child’s development. While all young children grow and change at their own rate, sometimes you may have concerns that your child is developing differently than other children the same age as your child.

If you have concerns about child’s development, birth to Kindergarten, call Minnesota Help Me Grow at 1-866-693-GROW (4769) or use the referral form on the web site at . Once a referral is made to the local early intervention program, the family will be contacted by an early intervention teacher to arrange for a screening or evaluation to determine if your child is eligible for infant and toddler intervention or preschool special education services.

Referral of School Age Children including Private or Home School

General education teachers can effectively meet some of the needs of students with learning and behavior problems within the general education classroom.  Situations arise, however, when a teacher needs a support system to help with students who present unique learning and adjustment problems. Parents who have a concern about their child’s learning or progress in school are encouraged to first talk with their child’s classroom teacher. Pre-referral interventions may be put in place that will resolve the concern.

If concerns continue or you want to make a referral for special education evaluation, contact your child’s building principal. You will be asked to complete a brief referral form. You may be asked to meet with a team of individuals to plan the evaluation. After a plan has been made for the evaluation and you have given the district permission to proceed, an evaluation will be conducted to determine if your child meets the Minnesota criteria for special education services.

Colleen Goltz
Special Education Director
 Phone: (218)-386-6001

Lynae Anderson
Special Education Administrative Assistant
 Phone: (218)-386-6001